top of page

24th of May 2018

A de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 300 was operating parachute flights, under FAA Part 91: General Aviation - Skydiving, out f Perris Valley Airport, California, USA. After the parachutist had jumped out two pilots were the sole occupant of the aircraft. It was the eighth flight of the day and the aircraft was approaching Perris Valley for a landing.

The aircraft in its final position (source ©Unknown)

The pilot in the right seat was a potential new hire pilot for the company and was the pilot flying on the approach to runway 19.

The weather at the time was recorded by an automatic weather observations system, located approximately 8 miles (~14 kilometers);

  • Wind 280º at 7knots

  • Visibility 10 miles

  • Few clouds at 20.000 feet AGL

  • Temperature 86ºF (30ºC) / dewpoint 45ºF (7ºC)

  • Altimeter setting 29.81 In Hg (1009 hPa)

At approximately 200 feet from the threshold at approximately 15 feet AGL (Above Ground Level = the literal height above the ground over which an aircraft is flying), the aircraft suddenly dropped and slammed on the runway, recoiling back into the air with a high bank angle to the right (45º - 60º). At which time the Pilot Flying stated "You got it" transferring control to the pilot in the left seat. The pilot took control and initiated a go-around by pushing the throttles forward. This caused the right wing to impact the runway surface and the aircraft left the paved area of the runway to right, It then impacted a fuel truck and the right wing was torn from the aircraft. The forces imposed on the airframe caused the pilot to, unintentionally, move the power levers to the max power setting. As only the left engine was still connected to the aircraft that went to full power, causing the aircraft to ground loop to the right, coming to a halt on its nose, the nosegear had failed.

The aircraft in its final position (source ©Unknown)

The accident was investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board, they published their Aviation Accident Final Report and concluded that the probable cause of the accident was;

"The prospective pilot's improper landing flare and the pilot's delayed remedial action to initiate a go-around, which resulted in a runway excursion."

The report is available by clicking here.

392 views0 comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page